[dev] locked prefs and overrides SOLVED

Brook Davis brook at linuxbox.com
Wed Jan 9 19:55:53 UTC 2008

Jan Schneider was nice enough to answer my question elsewhere, so I thought I'd post the response for the sake of thread closure:

Sorry for the noise.  Thanks Jan!

>As a user, I had previously set purge_folders to 0.  Then, as an
> administrator, I set it to 1 and locked it (always run purge folders)
> in the prefs.php file.  For some reason, the prefs function returns
> my user-set value, but also that the preference is locked.

That's the expected behavior.

> > So, my question is:  Is it the responsibility of the administrator to
> > clear out these preference values from the preference storage
> > backend, then lock, or is there a reason why the user preference
> > value overrides the one set and locked by the administrator in the
> > prefs.php file ?

Yes and yes. The reason is that you might want to set different values for
different users but still keep them from changing it.

> > Is it the programmer's responsibility to wipe out
> > old values after the preference is locked, or is this not advisable ?

Correct.