[dev] Something not work again into Ansel

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jan 17 15:25:07 UTC 2008

Quoting Claudio Mantegna <claudio.mantegna at gmail.com>:

> Good morning Michael,
>

>> Try setting this value to -1 (this disables the memory limit).
>

> I make it but the situation degrades to the point of "freeze" server and
> return the proper functioning after 5-10 minutes (the server not ansel),
> naturally horde and all components "died" with the freeze.....
> However if I can not find a solution in a short time, abandonment ansel
> waiting for a future release more stable.
>  I liked their pity, but if I am forced, patience.

I think that what the underlying issue here is that when you view an
image in a gallery that has never been viewed before, Ansel is
currently iterating through the entire gallery list and creating the
'screen' views on *all* the images since it needs the dimensions of
the image for the slideshow code.  For smaller galleries this is not
an issue, but for galleries with hundreds of images (or less depending
on server power) this is a problem. At the very least we will
experience very long load times.

The only reason we have to load *all* the screen images is to get the
image dimensions, and the only reason we need that, as far as I can
tell, is for the effect we are currently using for the image
transitions.  While I think it's a nifty effect, I propose to replace
it with something less demanding...like maybe a simple fade
effect...or at the very least, maybe add a transition option to each
gallery's style now that we have them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
mike