[dev] Help links

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Jan 26 04:58:26 UTC 2008

> But I don't think the proposed solution would really help. For one,
> you need internet access. This might not be an issue on the first
> sight, but having access to the horde server on the intranet doesn't
> automatically mean that the users have internet access too.

Well, it could be a local wiki - thus customizable by a local install
if desired. We could build default help data files and ship them with
the help wiki.

I'm not 100% sold on it but I do think it's workable, and having the
help system locally editable seems nice.

> I suggest a different approach: the current help system was a nice
> exercise in xml processing, and I bet that why Jon did it this way.
> But it would help translators a *lot* if they wouldn't have to
> translate in two places. So why not converting the help system to
> something that utilizes gettext? All help strings would be translated
> in the application's po file then.

I'm guessing that another reason for using XML for the help system was
that it was anticipated to have longer blocks of content, which would
be more awkward to handle with gettext (paragraph tags, other
formatting?) and susceptible to getting out of date very quickly with
small grammar changes, etc.

> (It's probably also debatable
> whether we want to stick with gettext for Horde 4, but that's a
> different story).

Yes, there's a different conversation to be had about this. :)

-chuck