[dev] Advocate for a change in PHP 5.3

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Jan 31 15:05:32 UTC 2008

Hi folks-

Because of this issue:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=43231

Which is in danger of being marked "not a bug" and even taken further,
currently we are unable to produce a version of Horde that supports
both PHP 4 and PHP 5.3+. If this change sticks, then we will have to
draw a _maximum_ PHP version of 5.2.x for all current Horde releases,
and any future Horde release will be PHP 5+ only.

I'm all for moving forward with PHP 5 only code, but making it
impossible to run current Horde versions on PHP 5.3+ is just a pain,
and I don't understand the rationale or reason for the change. If you
agree or if this will affect you, agitate for it a bit.

Thanks,

-chuck