[dev] Running multiple versions

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Feb 12 14:35:29 UTC 2008

Quoting Martin Fraser <mdf at darksnow.net>:

> Hello.
>
> I thought I had asked this before, but I can't seem to find the thread.
> If I have asked this before, sorry for the noise and point me to the old
> thread.
>
> Anyway. I was wondering if there are any issues with running two version
> of horde on one system. I am running FRAMEWORK_3 right now from CVS and
> it is stable and perfect for what I need, but I would also like to run
> HEAD for development work with a view to submitting some code to the
> project.
>
> Obviously these would be in different directories under Apache with
> different SQL backends for various parts but my question is related to
> the things that they can share.
>
> I assume it is OK for them to share an LDAP backend for turba, as long
> as they are both configured to look for the same entries with the same
> mapping that shouldn't cause any trouble, but I was mainly concerned
> about PEAR. If I install the HEAD pear modules using the framework
> install script, will those new modules still work correctly with F3 or
> is there a backwards compatibility issue I'm not aware of.
>
> Thanks for any advice or opinions you can give here.
>
> Martin...

What I do on my dev systems is the following:

I have separate directory trees for HEAD and FRAMEWORK_3, 3_1 etc...
so I have something like this for HEAD:

/horde/www/horde/.... obviously, this is where the app files go

/horde/pear  .... I install the framework packages here using the
symlink script (framework/devtools/horde-fw-symlinks.php)

/horde/vfs - Used as the VFS base for this install. You might be able
to share the VFS, but I wouldn't recommend it.

/horde/tmp - The temporary directory. This one is important,
especially if you use file-based sessions, caches etc...

and then a similar structure for each version you want to run.  Just
make sure that you install the proper versions of the framework
(Horde's PEAR libraries) into the proper pear directory.  This will
become increasingly important as HEAD moves towards Horde 4, which
will not maintain BC with Horde 3.

The final step is to make sure that you modify the PATH variable and
add the appropriate pear path in core.php (there is a comment in that
file to show how to do this).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
mike