[dev] Horde framework package directory structure

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Feb 21 22:43:37 UTC 2008

I'd like some feedback on the directory structure of framework
packages. Actually this almost comes down to a pluralization question,
but we're currently inconsistent and I want to settle on something.

In the newer packages, like Horde_Argv, we've moved to a structure of:

doc/
   Horde/
     Argv/
lib/
   Horde/
     Argv/
test/
   Horde/
     Argv/

This structure is great in that it cleans up the top level of the
development directories for packages, *and* you can unzip the tarballs
in a single top-level directory and have packages just fall into place.

The questions are: doc vs. docs, lib vs. src, and test vs. tests. I
have an aesthetic leaning towards doc, lib, test, which are consistent
with ruby and python and have a great unix-y three-letter cleanliness
to them. However, one could also make an argument for being consistent
with PEAR2:

http://wiki.pear.php.net/index.php/PEAR2_Standards#Directory_structure

However, we can always bundle PEAR dependencies in our own structure,
and advanced users can just put our lib directory and PEAR2's src
directory both into the include_path (and I just don't like src - src
is for compiled languages, it seems to me).

Thoughts?

-chuck