[dev] Horde framework package directory structure

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:57:26 UTC 2008

> The questions are: doc vs. docs, lib vs. src, and test vs. tests. I

I've always liked docs, but the most common format is doc, so we should
probably go with doc instead.

Unless the code is compiled or otherwise manipulated before being used,
then it should be lib.  The src is for things that need to be changed
before use (compiled, compressed, translated, processed, etc).  Lib is
for stuff that works as-is.

test vs tests is sticky.  I usually use "test" if it is a directory where
you run a test program in that directory, and "tests" if it contains test
files run via some external (to that directory) program.  But like doc/docs,
I really don't care.

So my only strong opinion is on src/lib.  In that case, I think it does
make a difference; lib for things that can be used/run as-is, src for
things that must be manipulated somehow before they can be used/run.

> directory both into the include_path (and I just don't like src - src
> is for compiled languages, it seems to me).

Well, could be compiled languages, or things that need to be (pre-)processed
or run through a macro processor, or things that must be configured, etc.

> Thoughts?

Always! :)

--
Eric Rostetter