[dev] My Ansel tasks 2

Duck duck at obala.net
Fri Mar 14 06:50:45 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 of March 2008 19:43:56 Michael Rubinsky wrote:
> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
> > Quoting duck at obala.net:
> >> - Categories
> >> Its nice to allow user to customize its categories. But in a large
> >> user environment makes categorizing data impossible. I know that I can
> >> lock the preference, but for performance issues I will like to see
> >> categories being Ids instead of string. As ids won't change if the
> >> administrator sets them. Allowing to have much faster selects and
> >> smaller data. And categories names can be translated.
> >
> > I'd actually question the need to have both categories and tags at the
> > same time.
>
> While I agree that my personal usage doesn't mean it's the best option
> for Horde, I'm currently using categories as a way to determine what
> galleries to pull for my websites that Ansel powers.  For example, I
> have a 'family' category and I search for galleries via the api in
> that category, owned by me, to determine what galleries to display on
> my family website. If I were to do this by tags alone, I would have to
> search for all images AND galleries that contain any number of tags
> that might apply...family, michael, jordyn, pop-pop etc...
>
> I used to do this by keeping all my "api galleries" under a common
> parent, but that made for an ugly hierarchy from within ansel...then I
> tried just hard coding the gallery id's to include on my site...but
> that's not ideal either :)

I would leave categories too. It is much easier to perform a group listing tha
n with tags. But if you have such doubt, we can avoid complication leaving cat
egories to be administrative defined and tags as a user content classification
. It will be cleaner and categories colors are not used even.

Duck