[dev] Kronolith Non-Personal Calendar Names

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Tue Apr 1 13:46:44 UTC 2008

Afternoon all,

I am interested in trying to push kronolith development into changing
the way that non-personal calendars are named. Currently, each personal
calendar is given the name of the owning user. Each additional calendar
is given a random hash string as a name.

While this deals with the problem of users wanting to use the same names
for their extra calendars, it causes more problems than it solves. Two
examples:

1. When providing kronolith as a shared calendar solution for a
business, I am having to expect users to copy and paste long hash
strings into applications that they want to use to remotely subscribe to
calendars. This is just about acceptable for the technically proficient
users, but it *looks* sufficiently complicated that I end up having to
do it manually for the execs and the marketing/sales/finance staff.

2. I have attempted to modify kronolith's web interface so that instead
of colouring events based on their category it would colour events based
upon the calendar the event belongs to. This is necessary for PAs for
example who are tracking and maintaining events for multiple execs as
they need to easily differentiate between multiple identical tasks based
on their owner. I have found it almost completely impossible to do this
because you effectively have to enter the calendar name hash strings as
categories and then the colour key at the base of the calendar links
colours to hash strings, NOT to calendar owners, which to the execs and
non-technical staff looks like an error.

I think it's entirely reasonable to look into another way of naming
extra calendars that would be more user-friendly and would allow
modifications to work with calendars based on usable names.

As an example.. ALL calendars could be named like this:
${username}.${calendarname}

Then, all users' personal calendars would be called: tom.default,
jane.default, pointy-haired-boss.default

And additional calendars could be named whatever they wanted like this:
tom.holidays, jane.holidays, jane.management,
pointy-haired-boss.management, pointy-haired-boss.financial

This would mean that, when subscribing to calendars remotely, the
pointy-haired-boss would need this:
http://horde.domain.tld/rpc.php/kronolith/pointy-haired-boss.financial.ics

instead of this:
http://horde.domain.tld/rpc.php/kronolith/eb4e3b3261f660cc9fcccd7884a512e9.ics

And I, or anybody else, could easily modify the category colouring
options (possibly as an option in the core of kronolith) so that, when
colouring by calendar, you simply enter a category with the right
calendar name rather than an unintelligible hash string and they key
displayed at the base of the calendar would also be understandable.

Can I get some feedback on this please, people?
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com