[dev] Kronolith Non-Personal Calendar Names

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Apr 3 11:26:11 UTC 2008

Zitat von Ben Klang <ben at alkaloid.net>:

>> 2. I have attempted to modify kronolith's web interface so that
>> instead
>> of colouring events based on their category it would colour events
>> based
>> upon the calendar the event belongs to. This is necessary for PAs for
>> example who are tracking and maintaining events for multiple execs as
>> they need to easily differentiate between multiple identical tasks
>> based
>> on their owner. I have found it almost completely impossible to do
>> this
>> because you effectively have to enter the calendar name hash
>> strings as
>> categories and then the colour key at the base of the calendar links
>> colours to hash strings, NOT to calendar owners, which to the execs
>> and
>> non-technical staff looks like an error.
> This has been discussed in the past and the determination at those
> times was that the behavior would not be changed.

Since this comes up every few months, and the users and admins voting
for one or the other seem to be split exactly into two halves, we will
probably add an option or preference whether coloring is going to
happen based on calendars or categories.

>> I think it's entirely reasonable to look into another way of naming
>> extra calendars that would be more user-friendly and would allow
>> modifications to work with calendars based on usable names.
>>
>> As an example.. ALL calendars could be named like this:
>> ${username}.${calendarname}
>>
>> Then, all users' personal calendars would be called: tom.default,
>> jane.default, pointy-haired-boss.default
>>
>> And additional calendars could be named whatever they wanted like
>> this:
>> tom.holidays, jane.holidays, jane.management,
>> pointy-haired-boss.management, pointy-haired-boss.financial
>>
>> This would mean that, when subscribing to calendars remotely, the
>> pointy-haired-boss would need this:
>> http://horde.domain.tld/rpc.php/kronolith/pointy-haired-
>> boss.financial.ics
> To me this sounds like a pretty good idea, but I'm not the Kronolith
> maintainer so I can't comment on whether or not it is feasible.  Also
> it's worth mentioning that we need to either filter how users name
> their calendars (special characters etc) or use the "slug" system
> similar to Whups.

This would also help in completing the CalDAV support since clients
can create arbitrarily named resources. I still think we must limit
this to ascii characters and numbers only. We could support users in
finding (or fixing) short names using transliteration.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/