[dev] [cvs] commit: kronolith/lib/Driver kolab.php

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Apr 26 19:59:31 UTC 2008

Hi Chuck,

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> writes:

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:
>
>>> So how do you handle the case where two people have the same
>>> invitation on their calendars?
>>
>> I'm not certain what could be a possible error scenario here. Within
>> Kolab the ID is local to each calendar and does not care much about
>> the ID in other calendars. And I guess having the same UID across
>> calendars is meant to be used that way or am I wrong?
>>
>> I admit that I'm not that certain why Horde actually uses two types of
>> ID. Somehow I was unable to give both a very clear and precise
>> meaning. Maybe you could clarify the exact meaning or give me a hint
>> where to look it up as this is a central part for handling all the
>> external data exchange correctly and I definitely want to get that
>> part right.
>
> In the SQL driver, all events are in one database table. When someone
> syncs with a device using SyncML, or receives an iCal invitation, we
> need to maintain the UID of the original event so that we can track
> updates to it later.
>
> Therefore the UID can't be the event_id, because if two people on the
> same Kronolith install received the same invitation, the uid for both
> events (as added to their personal calendars) will be the same.

okay, then I think I got it right.

The difference within Kolab is that the objects are lying seperated in
different IMAP folders. Getting an event based on ID always acts
within the confines of one single IMAP folder. So even if there are
other folders holding an object with the same ID there should be no
problem.

If we do a UID search in the kolab driver this is limited to the users
personal IMAP folders.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> -chuck

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg