[dev] CyrSQL and SQL driver

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed May 28 19:14:12 UTC 2008

Sveiki,

> Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> Hello,
>>
>>   I was thinking about completely separating Cyrus SQL driver from
>>   Horde's native SQL driver, e.i. extend it directly from Auth. There
>>   are couple of reasons because I *think* this could be a good idea.
>>
>>   1) As I found out in one of my smaller installations current
>>   implementation of driver have some gliches in a environment where Cyrus
>>   virtual domains are disabled. So there is a need to rewrite addUser
>>   and removeUser methods in such a way they will not use their parent
>>   methods. This leaves us with only one thing dependand
>>   on Auth_sql, making a connection to MySQL server with a
>>   _connect(). Again I *think* it will be faster to just make the
>>   driver independand and extend directly from Auth.
>>
>>   2) Cyrus SQL logic and stucture is very different from what we have in
>>   Horde's SQL. For example, when you create a user you must add two
>>   entries in 2 different MySQL tables and you must also create a
>>   mailbox on Cyrus IMAP server. The same goes about updating or
>>   removing the user.
>>
>>   Are there any objections or could I start working on this? What is
>>   your thoughts on this?

> I'm not sure if I followed you exactly, but do you want to change the
> cyrussql driver to no longer extend the sql driver?

Exactly.

> If _connect() is all that's left to share, and you can't change sql
> for better re-usability in cyrussql, then I wouldn't object.

As I told earlier, currently Auth_Sql is not so flexible as we wanted
it to be for Cyrus SQL or other similar drivers. Most (if not all)
methods perform only one query to only one particular table. And unless somebody would
introduced a very flexible way of dealing with queries in Auth_Sql I
don't see how it could change in the near future.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius