[dev] [cvs] commit: ansel/lib/Block recently_added.php

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Jun 6 16:12:57 UTC 2008

Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:

> Zitat von "Michael Rubinsky" <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:
>>
>>> jan         2008-06-06 05:34:27 EDT
>>>
>>>  Modified files:
>>>    lib/Block            recently_added.php
>>>  Log:
>>>  Blocks are for end users, don't let them set URLs.
>>
>> This breaks using the blocks via the API from an external gallery website.
>
> Then there has to be done a separate API method. The primary use for
> blocks is for users to customize their portals. And it doesn't make
> sense to provide them with url parameters if they don't know what they
> are for and what is going to break if they use them.

IMO, this greatly reduces the utility of being able to retrieve blocks
via the api. I do understand the concern, though. Not sure if it's
possible, but what about having a set of seperate block params that
are hidden to the user...or maybe allowing params that are not
explicitly defined in the block to be passed in?  Not sure I see how
another api method would overcome the limitation of the params not
being present in the blocks?

I also know that there are other apps that use similar params...I
believe Chuck did something similar in Jonah's tag cloud.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)