[dev] [cvs] commit: ansel/lib/Block recently_added.php

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Jun 6 16:42:52 UTC 2008

Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:

> Zitat von "Michael Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:

>>> Then there has to be done a separate API method. The primary use for
>>> blocks is for users to customize their portals. And it doesn't make
>>> sense to provide them with url parameters if they don't know what they
>>> are for and what is going to break if they use them.
>>
>> IMO, this greatly reduces the utility of being able to retrieve
>> blocks  via the api. I do understand the concern, though. Not sure
>> if it's  possible, but what about having a set of seperate block
>> params that  are hidden to the user...or maybe allowing params that
>> are not  explicitly defined in the block to be passed in?  Not sure
>> I see how  another api method would overcome the limitation of the
>> params not  being present in the blocks?
>
> If you'd be using a different API method you would be completely free
> to pass any parameters around that you like and retrieve anything
> back.

Not to make too big a point of it, but that would mean basically
duplicating the block code in the api methods...and would mean adding
a new api method for each "block" we want to be able to use.  I guess
the solution here then is to either extend an existing api method (if
an appropriate on exists for the particular block in question) to
return the data or the HTML...or just build the "block" in the client
code with data obtained via the api.

Didn't Chuck recently change some API methods to also return
> HTML code?

Not sure...

> That doesn't make it better :)

Point taken :)