[dev] Restructuring the Kolab module

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Jun 12 18:37:45 UTC 2008

"Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck at horde.org> writes:

> Quoting "Gunnar Wrobel" <wrobel at pardus.de>:
>
>> is there anything that would prevent me from restructuring the Kolab
>> module at the moment?
>>
>> The main point would be to clean up the Kolab Share driver mess. I
>> really did not know that much about Horde and PHP when I started
>> coding this and consequently a rewrite was pending for quite a while
>> now.
>>
>> I guess there will be some bugs here and there but the whole thing
>> looks much cleaner - even sane :) - now.
>>
>> So if nobody objects I would go ahead with the change.
>
> Well, how will backwards compatibility be affected? You can't make
> changes to Kronolith 2.2.x that require a newer Horde version.
>
> If what you want to do is write a new version of the Kolab package,
> you can do that either in HEAD or in a branch. It's possible the right
> thing to do is to add "kolab2" driver to applications, which uses the
> new code, and leave both versions. That way people who want/need the
> new code and have a new enough Horde version can use it, but bc is
> preserved for others.

BC won't be affected. I made certain all the horde apps still work
with the newer structure. I did not touch any of the Kolab drivers in
the apps.

Of course I marked some things as deprecated again so I'm definitely
waiting for Horde4 - :) - but in the meantime everything is supposed
to work as before.

The main problem really is all the cross-referencing stuff in the
Kolab share driver. But that can be solved by shifting IMAP specific
code from the share driver into the Kolab module and adding a few new
singletons. As this is a shift within the framework it does not affect
BC if I understood you correctly.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> -chuck

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg