[dev] Restructuring the Kolab module

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Jun 26 12:59:06 UTC 2008

Hi Chuck,

"Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck at horde.org> writes:

> Quoting "Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting "Gunnar Wrobel" <wrobel at pardus.de>:
>>
>>> BC won't be affected. I made certain all the horde apps still work
>>> with the newer structure. I did not touch any of the Kolab drivers in
>>> the apps.
>>>
>>> Of course I marked some things as deprecated again so I'm definitely
>>> waiting for Horde4 - :) - but in the meantime everything is supposed
>>> to work as before.
>>>
>>> The main problem really is all the cross-referencing stuff in the
>>> Kolab share driver. But that can be solved by shifting IMAP specific
>>> code from the share driver into the Kolab module and adding a few new
>>> singletons. As this is a shift within the framework it does not affect
>>> BC if I understood you correctly.
>>
>> Okay by me then.
>
> Although, I guess it should sit in HEAD for a bit - just after a
> release isn't the best time to reorganize code drastically.

Yes, I realize that. It wasn't possible to squeeze in the time for the
restructuring before the release.

The new structure I added during the last two weeks is something that
I believe we will be able to keep stable for the next few years. It
actually maps to the underlying concepts of the Kolab server. The
broken approach I added with my original share driver did not.

I added a lot of unit testing which caught many initial problems and
real world testing seemed rather robust now. So I commited the switch
to the new module structures.

If worst comes to worst I could still revert my last commit and/or add
this as a second kolab share driver. But I expect only minor problems
that we should be able to weed out until the next release.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> -chuck

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg