[dev] Splitting the Kolab module

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Jul 5 06:06:53 UTC 2008

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> writes:

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:
>
>> The restructured Horde/Kolab module abstracts all the major Kolab
>> server concepts now. So I dare to finally call it a useful developers
>> library for the Kolab Server. I believe it should be easy for PHP
>> scripters to base their code on this module and manipulate the data
>> stored on a Kolab server without requiring a complete Horde setup.
>
> Cool!
>
>> In order to facilitate this I would now like to provide the module as
>> downloadable PEAR package. So I looked at the dependencies and
>> realized that the full list of required packages for the Kolab module
>> is quite long. But there are different sub modules present which have
>> a strong logical separation and completely different dependencies. So
>> I believe it would make sense to split the big Kolab module into the
>> following sub parts:
>>
>>   - Kolab_Format (handles the Kolab XML format)
>>   - Kolab_Server (handles the Kolab user database)
>>   - Kolab_Storage (handles Kolab IMAP storage)
>>   - Kolab_Freebusy (handles the Kolab Free/Busy implementation)
>
> This all sounds fine to me.
>
>>  2) What is the structure for new packages we agreed upon?
>>
>>     I reread the thread Chuck started a while ago but I had the
>>     impression that there was no final conclusion.
>>
>>     Should it be
>>
>>       lib/..
>>       doc/..
>>       test/..
>>       package.xml
>
> Yes:
>
> http://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/Libraries

Ah, sorry, I missed that one :)

>>     now? What would I use for scripts? "examples"? And can I already
>>     use "www"?
>
> scripts would go in script/. And yes, you can use www if there are web
> resources in the Kolab packages (are there?).

Not yet but it would make sense to have two short web scripts in
the Kolab_Freebusy package. Kolab currently still has a free/busy
system that is completely separate from the system provided by Horde
and I think it will still take some time to try to merge the two.

> We might still have to figure out how that one will be managed
> though.

Okay.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> -chuck

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg