[dev] [cvs] commit: imp/lib Compose.php imp/templates/prefs sourceselect.inc

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Jul 26 14:27:25 UTC 2008

> Autocomplete.Local can only search the text it displays.  We need to
> display an RFC-822 compliant e-mail address on autocomplete, so the
> only data we can send locally.

Okay. I think I've been slightly misunderstanding the point here.
Falling back to ajax expansion for other formats seems fine to me. And
if we end up rewriting autocomplete, we can add support for more
flexible searches.

> The main gain is speed and responsiveness from the UI side.  And
> doing multiple AJAX requests to the server when autocompleting is
> definitely not a light operation server-side - each request requires
> us to set-up/tear-down a session, which is not cheap, in addition to
> the overhead of doing multiple searches that can easily be done
> using the user's CPU power instead.

Not a general solution, but caching the users addressbook locally in
Gears or similar (or native for Safari 3.1) would make use of the
user's CPU...

> My desire would be to move away from scriptaculous in general; I am
> not very impressed with either its coding style nor the ongoing
> support.  Once we start to deviate away from the stock autocomplete
> stuff (if we decide to go that way in the future), the only
> remaining part of scriptaculous we will be using is the effects
> stuff.  The effects stuff is universal enough, and stable enough,
> that I don't foresee a reason for jettisoning that code.

I'm fine exploring that. The two main things I've been wanting to look
at are Coherent and SproutCore. I am still quite happy with prototype
itself, a few recent bugs aside. The other base library of interest to
me is jquery; I still don't see a compelling reason to move to dojo or
yui.

-chuck