[dev] wiki as help

duck at obala.net duck at obala.net
Sun Aug 3 14:52:19 UTC 2008

As I remember, time ago we discussed the feature of our “help”
mechanism. Some purposed to drop the help.xml files (are really
outdated) and to use wiki. But Jan objected, because as we cannot use
it off-line.

I am now in front of a occasion that I must maintain two wiki
installations with nearly the same content  and of course I wont to
have one help menu option – the wiki.

As first I am going to add a sync feature to wiki pages. It will
1.Download new pages from remote wiki installation
2.Upload new page from local to remote wiki
3.Show difference between local and remote pages, check both history
to auto-detect and purpose to download or upload content (this if a
page was changed only on one side)
4.Display difference between pages if automatic mechanism fails (if
the pages has no history match or better said was changed on both sides)

Of course this can be used to sync offline installations. So we can
drop the help.xml. Or we can create a new renderer to prepare help
files from wiki pages and distribute them with the releases. Even I
think that is better to link help to wiki.horde.org, this should bring
more documentation contributions.

Any Ideas?

Duck