[dev] [cvs] commit: imp/docs CHANGES

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 22 05:01:17 UTC 2008

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> jan         2008-08-21 09:01:44 EDT
>>>
>>> Modified files:
>>>   docs                 CHANGES
>>> Log:
>>> Add missing entry.
>>>
>>> Revision  Changes    Path
>>> 1.1175    +1 -0      imp/docs/CHANGES
>>>
>>> Chora Links:
>>> http://cvs.horde.org/diff.php/imp/docs/CHANGES?r1=1.1174&r2=1.1175&ty=u
>>
>> Please revert.  This is a rare case where a feature was added to a
>> release branch but not HEAD.  Address formatting caching is a 4.2.1
>> change only.  The codebase that will be 5.0 never contained this
>> change - this branch skipped directly to address parsing caching.
>> Thus, looking back from a 5.0 perspective, there was never
>> formatting caching in that branch.  To keep that in there otherwise
>> is confusing (it makes it look like we are doing both formatting
>> and parsing caching, which we are not).
>
> I don't agree, though maybe you missed that I added that under the
> 4.2.1 stanza, in the HEAD branch. It has been added to 4.2.1, no
> matter in which branch we are.

Sounds like we need a discussion on what the CHANGES file is used for.
  Obviously, CHANGES is *not* meant to be an all encompassing list of
what has changed in each release.  We could set up a cvs script that
would give us this information if this is what we wanted.

Instead, CHANGES lists only the highlights of these changes.  And
these highlights are presumably there because they make it easy for
someone downloading the release to understand what has changed since
the previous release.

Thus, someone upgrading from IMP 4.1 to IMP 4.2.1 should be able to
easily see a list of changes between those versions.  And someone
upgrading from IMP 4.2 to IMP HEAD/5.0 should be able to quickly
glance at the CHANGES file to see the differences between that path.

CHANGES is important from the perspective of an individual release,
not a definitive history of every development event that has occurred
in the project (many projects use this kind of changelog and, quite
frankly, it is not very useful).  This is the only approach that makes
sense.  Looking at the CHANGES file right now from the perspective of
a HEAD release, it appears that caching has been added for both
address parsing and address formatting which is blatantly incorrect.

michael