[dev] Preferences backend unavailable

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Mon Sep 15 16:02:43 UTC 2008

I've finally got round to cleaning up some niggles with my setup but
can't seem to solve this one myself, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be
very happy.

When I first login to Horde there is a message at the top of the screen
saying:
"The preferences backend is currently unavailable and your preferences
have not been loaded. You may continue to use the system with default
settings."

Which is all well and good, but my preferences are available. If I
change something obvious, like my theme, and logout then back in, it
remembers the change of theme, but still complains that by preferences
backend is not available.

I'm using a LDAP prefs backend and I ran OpenLDAP in debug mode to make
sure I wasn't denied access to something my the ACL's but everywhere in
my debug trace that pref was mentioned it was quickly followed by:
"read access to <> allowed by write"

So, since I have write access to the appropriate LDAP attributes I can
read them.

So, the question is, if this is all working fine, why am I getting the
message. My next stop is to either look at the code or disable one
module at a time to try and narrow this down, but if there is a quick
answer of at least a point in the right direction it would help greatly.

Thanks.

Martin...