[dev] Exciting find

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Sep 17 23:51:40 UTC 2008

>> Yes, I think we should keep supporting POP3. Even though POP3
>> sucks, it one of the nice features that IMP is working with any
>> mail server.
>> But if I understand the library correctly, POP3 support should
>> still work with the c-client driver, just not with the socket
>> driver, correct?

Thinking about this, this is probably half doable.  Yes we can still
use the imap_* commands, but the way I am writing the driver it is
pretty IMAP specific in the Cclient driver.  Writing a 'Cclient-pop3'
driver to extend the Cclient driver is probably the way to go for this
(at least a the beginning).

> I think it would be great to structure our code such that someone
> who wanted to add POP3 support could, and someone who wanted to have
> IMP talk directly to a SQL database could as well. I don't think
> that both of those need to be encapsulated in Horde_Imap_Client,
> though; I think if we do this, it should be done at the IMP level,
> with a library that encapsulates all access to the underlying
> message store. Kind of an Imp_Mapper object, in the Rdo sense, with
> different mappers for IMAP, POP, SQL, etc.
>
> I'm not going to insist we do this from day one, though if others
> agree it's worth doing, then it might be easiest to do it while
> replacing imap_* calls. If no one think this is useful, then let's
> adjust the name of Horde_Imap_Client to allow for variant
> implementations that aren't IMAP (Horde_Mail_Store? eh...), and let
> POP3 lag while all of this is under development.

I don't object to this goal but I'm wondering if this is a goal more
worthy for the IMAP backend rather than an IMAP client.  We need to
have some kind of workable mail access API, and it seems as reasonable
as any to use the IMAP API to access a mailstore.  So if other
drivers/backends are to implement a pseudo-IMAP API, it is probably
best to let the IMAP server handle that rather than Horde/IMP (e.g.
http://www.dbmail.org/).  Starting to do more than this at the IMP
level would quickly get us away from our core goal: providing a MUA.

michael