[dev] Horde 4 Kickoff - Git migration and layout

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Oct 20 21:38:31 UTC 2008

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>>
>>> My proposal is that we will have two git repositories: A horde
>>> repository, for the official Horde code, and a hatchery
>>> repository, for new applications, misc. projects, sidelines, etc -
>>> things that are currently in the incubator.
>>
>> How about stuff like hordeweb, presentations etc? I'm inclined to
>> move them into the incubator/hatchery too, but I'm not sure. We
>> would need a different name for it then.
>
> Why not a separate repo for hordeweb? It's not really related
> code-wise to any of the stuff in either of the proposed repos...and
> it would mean someone could checkout hordeweb/presentations without
> having to get the entire Horde code tree.

I agree - hordeweb is really useful for only a tiny handful of people
(i.e. the devs) and should not need to be a part of a master Horde
distribution.

>> Especially with focusing more on package based release models, a
>> clean, separated framework/ structure seems the better solution to
>> me.
>
> +1

I agree that framework should probably be separate - my only concern
is that keeping all the libs like they are in the current layout sort
of goes against the idea that these packages are intended to be
released separately in the future.  But I guess the alternative
(having 50+ git checkouts) would not be a viable solution.

Another question (maybe I missed the answer along the way): are we
going to keep the existing development model where we have a "master"
server (i.e. cvs.horde.org) where we will build the releases?  For our
workflow, that seems to make the most sense - since we don't have a
"master" user that checks all commits before integrating.

michael