[dev] Horde 4 kickoff - dev prozess

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Oct 21 16:09:33 UTC 2008

Quoting Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro>:

> thx Chuck, for clarification on the GIT layout. Maybe I may start
> another related topic and propose a development process:
>
> 1. Present the Idea
> 2. Write Requirements Document
> 3. Write Design Specifications
> 4. Implementation <-> (Unit) Testing
> 5. Review
> 6. Release
>
> I stress this, because I think many projects suffer from the fact that
> coding is much more fun then planing.

I'm all for having unit tests for our libraries, but in my view this
is way too much process. We're trying to speed up our development
process, not slow it down.

> I think it makes sense, to be a little bit more relaxed for the
> development process of applications and very strict with libraries. And
> to make it easy to separate these things, it makes sense to pack them in
> two different repositories. Checking out two or three repos to work on
> horde is not much an issue.
> On the other hand it would be an issue for other projects using the
> horde libraries to checkout all applications too.

I can be convinced on this. The argument for having them together is
to allow people doing bleeding-edge dev on apps to make consistent
commits on both the libraries and apps. But there are reasons to
separate them, and it would make the framework more visible as a
separate project.

> It is also a helper to seperate the Presentation from the logic when you
> see them as two different projects.

This doesn't have much to do with how we organize the framework and
app repositories; applications still have plenty of logic.

-chuck