[dev] Login to Horde with PHPBB info??

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Fri Oct 24 11:46:41 UTC 2008

Best keep this on list so those in the know can advise better than I can.

Seems you are almost there. You have a current login managed by phpbb
and you have Horde embedded in the pages. If I'm understanding you
correctly you are logging into phpbb, then having to login to Horde
again, using the same credentials.

This is because although you are using the same database of user names
and passwords, they are not the same authentication method. I think the
best way forward here is to write a new auth driver for phpbb. It should
be quite straight forward to include some horde files to the auth system
and in the new auth module, include some phpbb files to check sessions.
If the phpbb auth system (see
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/ ) says you are not a valid user,
redirect to the login screen. This should be happening anyway if you
have made sure the new phpbb page has to have a valid login to be
viewed. Then the Horde auth driver only has to ask phpbb is there is a
current valid login and get the username and password details, which
should be pretty straight forward since all that information is
available from phpbb anyway.

The new Horde Auth class can stay simple since you won't have to
implement any password changing or user management facilities, leaving
all that to phpbb.

I know this is a very high level overview of what needs to be done,
sorry I couldn't be more specific, maybe people here that have written
auth drivers might be more helpful.

Good luck, this could be an interesting, is niche, horde auth module.

Martin...

JLA ENTERPRISES DIRECT wrote:
 > Martin,
 >
 > Thanks so much for the reply.  I have created a PHPBB page that presents
 > Horde in an iFrame and have also directed Horde (via the authentication
 > configuration) to check the PHPBB user tables for the authentication
 > information to validate the entered username and password at the
Horde login
 > screen.  At this point all of that works fine with no problems - it
 > authenticates a correctly entered PHPBB username and password.  This is
 > where I am stuck.
 >
 > From here at a loss on how to direct Horde to share/check the phpbb
session
 > information for the already logged in phpbb user so that they do not
have to
 > login to Horde separately.
 >
 > Thanks again for any help.

an iFrame in it and present Horde like that.

 > You may need to make some changes to the phpBB auth libs to make
Horde aware it is already authenticated (session cookies?).