[dev] local git repository re: imp IMAP/MIME changes

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 3 02:18:52 UTC 2008

>> I still think this is the best strategy. Moving the libraries over
>> one-by-one forces us to make sure that each package:
>> - indeed has been reviewed, converted, refactored
>> - works with as few dependencies as necessary
>> - works separately from Horde applications (configuration etc)
>> - has at least some basic unit tests
>>
>> At least that's what I hope this strategy gets us.
>
> Those are all good things. I worry about it being too high a
> barrier. Here's another way of asking: what's keeping you,
> personally, from converting a library right now?
>
> For me, I'm working on Horde_Date_Parser in git, but it has so much
> cruft and the code I'm porting from in it right now that I'm doing
> it in the hatchery. If that's not necessary with git, I'm open to
> that argument also. I've also thought about moving over the
> libraries that are already PHP 5 - Horde_Feed and such - but have
> hesitated to split development between CVS and git too much.

That's the worry I, personally, have. While I think all of us will
struggle to some degree or another with transitioning to git, I worry
about the number of things we change at once. Changing over to git is
a big enough challenge, let alone having to deal with remembering what
library is in git, or cvs, or if it's in git is it in the hatchery
etc... While I think the list of goals that Jan has laid out is great
- I see that list as goals for the library itself, not as a goal for
moving from one RCS to another. I think it would ease the transition
if we just made a clean break from CVS once we decided it was time. If
that means waiting a bit until more libraries are in "better shape" or
if that means we switch now and do the refactoring using git, well,
I'm not sure.