[dev] [cvs] commit: chora annotate.php chora/templates/annotate header.inc line.inc chora/themes screen.css

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 7 17:31:03 UTC 2009

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> slusarz     2009-01-07 01:13:07 EST
>>>
>>> Modified files:
>>>   .                    annotate.php
>>>   templates/annotate   header.inc line.inc
>>>   themes               screen.css
>>> Log:
>>> Rework annotate screen - prevision revision number is not all that
>>> important.
>>> What is important is a link to the diff between the changing
>>> revision and the
>>> previous revision (the previous revision can be viewed in its entirety by
>>> following the appropriate link on the diff page).
>>
>> Again, I strongly disagree. I use this all the time to navigate back
>> through history until I find the actual revision where a change was
>> really made, to skip revisions where a change was just cosmetically.
>

> I agree with Jan on this (as well as the log info remaining in the
> annotate view). IMO, an awful lot of the reason for me using annotate
> (at least with non-git repos) is lost with these changes.

Apparently the way I use annotate is completely different than
everyone else (although, from past history, that doesn't surprise me
:))  My problem with the way that everyone else does things is the
following: if you click on the previous revision, and the change you
are looking for is at line 5000, are you saying you have to scroll all
the way down to line 5000 and then manually eyeball the section to see
if it changes?  That is entirely unacceptable to me.  It makes a lot
more sense to view a diff between the two revisions which, depending
on the size of the commit, won't require scrolling at all.  Then if
the change is cosmetic only, you can click on the previous revision on
the diff screen to go to that revision, and then you can click on
Annotate on that page.  Granted it does require an extra click to get
to the next annotation, but on the flip side the server is doing all
the comparing rather than your eyeballs.

Still heartily disagree with the log tooltip.  Given the existence of
the diff icon now, the log tooltip is complete overkill and (with
large files) is a total resource hog.  I can actually view
imp/lib/Compose.php now without it threatening to crash my browser
(we're talking about a dual core CPU with many GB of memory) - which
was one of the reasons that made me change this in the first place.
Additionally, as previously mentioned, displaying log entries for git
files that have been renamed is a non-trivial thing.  git rev-list
only displays revisions for the file as currently named.  If changes
were made before the file was renamed, then you have to go produce a
log entry of that entire file and so-on until the git repo origin is
reached.

I guess the solution for the former is to re-add the Previous column.
As for the log tooltip, if re-added, this would make most sense as a
tooltip to the diff icon.

michael