[dev] [cvs] commit: chora annotate.php chora/templates/annotate header.inc line.inc chora/themes screen.css

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jan 8 00:44:06 UTC 2009

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> I agree that the log tooltip is a huge resource hog and I alway
>>> disliked that. But it's really helpful if you use history/annotation
>>> like above, because you can often see with a single look whether the
>>> linked diff is really what you are looking for.
>>> I think it would be great to load the tooltip with an ajax request
>>> instead, that would get us the full feature without the performance
>>> loss.
>>
>> That's what I was going to suggest - of course it's the solution
>> that requires the most work :(.  I would suggest that instead of a
>> tooltip, we implement some sort of toggle div instead (i.e. using
>> +/- icon) - this would limit any log display to only entries the
>> user explicitly wants to view.
>
> Why is this different from a tooltip? It's still only displayed on a
> user request. This should happen with a short delay to avoid
> unnecessary request. I envision something like one of those
> ad/thumbnail tooltips. If we make this generic enough, we could also
> use it for preview tooltips in IMP, that would speed up the mailbox

I am not a big fan of tooltips in general.  And for this sort of
function (only wanting log entries to display when the user is 100%
sure they want to view a log entry) I prefer a more explicit solution.
  Additionally, hovering over an icon while requiring a delay doesn't
seem completely intuitive to me.

Regardless, I have already implemented a solution which adds an extra
icon for log entry - when clicked, an AJAX request is triggered and
the log entry appears below the entry.  IMO, it looks and performs
quite well and I am happy with the results.  If others want to tinker
with this, at least there is a base to expand on.

michael