[dev] The layout of the git repositories

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Jan 19 14:52:13 UTC 2009

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:

> For Horde 4 three git repositories ("horde", "horde-hatchery", and
> "horde-support") have been created. All of these seem to be intended
> as central source repositories where the developers push commits to.

Yes, although none of that prevents people from pushing/pulling to
each other as well. It just means we've chosen to maintain a central
repository for release management, bug tracking, etc.

> When using distributed developer branches you'd assign maintainers for
> each of the available modules. These maintainers are responsible for
> releases of the modules they manage and usually pull from the people
> they trust. This will not work if all modules exist within one
> repository as you would need to care for things beside the modules you
> maintain.

That's not how Horde has been organized, historically. We have a
number of core developers who all help maintain the codebase. The
model you describe would be a stretch for us, and create more work for
those core developers (in needing to pull into many different
modules). A lot of what went into the current structure is not
creating extra work for the developers by making us commit
individually to every application, when that's not how we've worked in
the past. We have 50+ applications if you count everything in CVS and
git; that's an awful lot of repositories to maintain.

> The current setup gives me the impression as if we were coming from
> CVS - which we did ;) - and wanted to keep the logic behind CVS. But
> of course distributed revision control is pretty far away from CVS and
> uses some radically different concepts. And it feels strange if we try
> to use git for something it was definitely not meant to be used for.

You're right that we're not using the specific linux kernel model of
development. I wonder, though, if there is a specific area where you
think git won't work for what we are trying to do with it, though? Our
current layout is not set in stone, and if there are problems with it
we'll try to adjust.

-chuck