[dev] [commits] Horde-Support branch master updated. 438b8792a8c8e06649ba230b6a37a025bda827a0

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 4 01:45:38 UTC 2009

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> For me, it's not so much trolling the mailing list, the issue is more
>> about scanning my mailbox looking for commit messages of interest. I
>> think that at least having the top level (imp/kronolith etc...)
>> directories of files that were touched in a commit would go a long
>> way...and it's definitely more useful information IMO than an
>> unfriendly hash id. It also leads to more friendly thread titles if a
>> commit is followed up by discussion. Much easier to spot a response to
>> one of your commits if it's a human friendly subject as opposed to a
>> commit id.
>
> Unfortunately, I think the only way to add file information to the
> subject line is if we enforce a 'one commit per push' policy.  And
> I'm not sure we want to do that.

Agreed.

  Upper level directory information
> could prove useful, but this would require some maintenance to
> distinguish between apps and horde service directories. i.e.
> 'templates/' or 'admin/' are not very useful.

Actually, what I was getting at was just the top-most directory,
basically the application/module name. I know that would require a bit
of work if we want to go one level deeper in the framework directory.
An application name is not very specific, but IMO it's better then the
commit id, and at least gives a bit of useful information.  Something
like:

[commits] Horde-Hatchery:master updated in content, kronolith

> branch information will be important once we have branches other
> than master so that needs to stay.  And the repo is also necessary
> information.  Probably need the updated tag (although I'm not really
> clear what other status phrase besides update is going to occur)

Agreed.

Thanks,
mike

--