[dev] Horde_SessionObjects

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 16 17:41:10 UTC 2009

> Can someone explain to me what Horde_SessionObjects is used for in
> imp-git? I took a look and I'm not sure I really grok it.
>
> Reason: I've regretted the sessionobjects class for a while and would
> like to retire it, but obviously if I don't understand what it's being
> used for I can't do that yet. I might suggest it be replaced with
> Horde_Cache, or with a much smarter layered Horde_Cache, or with a
> separate cache tied to a cookie.

Horde_Cache does not work in the situation where we absolutely 100%
need to guarantee that the data will be available.  For example, with
the pgp/smime reload stuff, it is simply too much of a hassle to carry
around the reload URL data from page to page.  It is much easier (and
more secure) to store the URL in a session variable instead.
Obviously, we could directly store this data in a temporary session
variable, but that feels hackish at best.

This could never be offloaded to Horde_Cache because, e.g. with
memcache, there is no way to guarantee that any piece of data will
persist.

It might be useful to refactor Horde code to call an API in order to
interact with all session data.  Would allow us to do stuff like
transparent compression of larger pieces of session data.

michael