[dev] blindup/blinddown in IMP quoted text

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Feb 25 17:36:37 UTC 2009

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> This is a UI opinion, but: I really don't like the blindUp/blindDown
>> when showing/hiding quoted text now in IMP. It seems jerky and
>> gratuitous - I'd much rather just show/hide the element. Anyone object
>> to changing it?
>
> FWIW, I agree with Chuck.

I disagree (obviously because I implemented it).  It was way too jerky
before - you could go from no text to 200+ lines of text in an
instant.  You go from no scrollbar to a huge scrollbar in a
millisecond.  "Startling" and/or "jarring" is probably the best word
to describe that transition.  This is the same reason I used the
effect for parts lists and expanding subfolders.

If the effect appears jerky now, maybe the params need to be changed -
such as setting the duration to a longer timespan  Additional time
should not make that much a difference since a person is going to read
from top to bottom when expanding, and they can begin to read the top
text while the effect completes.

michael