[dev] [cvs] commit: framework/Horde/Horde ErrorHandler.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Mar 6 01:13:53 UTC 2009

[snip]
>> That just increases the nesting level, no?
>
> IMHO given an if clause at the bottom of a function especially when
> there is no return value and you are only doing work on one of the
> conditions, that return call is superfluous.
>
> i.e., given $foo as a boolean variable:
>
> function() {
>   if ($foo) {
>     return;
>   }
>   $foo2 = a;
> }
>
> (not so good) vs.

Why not so good? My reading is that you're bailing out as quickly as
possible for irrelevant conditions - not so much for speed as for
leaving the main method body clear (and not deeply indented) from
preliminary checks.

> function() {
>   if (!$foo) {
>     $foo2 = a;
>   }
> }
>
> (better).

I get that you prefer it, and I don't really feel strongly about this,
but I am curious *why* you think it's better.

>> Also here:
>>
>> -        $headers = headers_list();
>> -        foreach ($headers as $header) {
>> +        foreach (headers_list() as $header) {
>>
>> Is repeated function calls in foreach no longer an issue?
>
> There was never an issue with foreach and repeated function calls, as
> far as I know.

I guess this is for loops. My confusion.

> it is true that you wouldn't be able to do this in PHP 4

It works fine in PHP 4, fwiw.

-chuck