[dev] Markup Validation

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Mar 12 18:22:15 UTC 2009

Zitat von Matt Selsky <selsky at columbia.edu>:

> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:17:15PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>
>> Speaking of this (and thanks for the patch) - I propose switching to
>> either HTML 4.01 or HTML 5 for our doctype. It would have to be a
>> gradual thing since we've got a lot of xhtml markup now, but the
>> thinking on xhtml has evolved a lot in the last 5+ years. Supporting
>> arguments:
>>
>> http://webkit.org/blog/68/understanding-html-xml-and-xhtml/
>> http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
>
> +1 for switching to HTML 4.01.  Would we use Strict or Transitional?
> How to we switch in an orderly fashion?

I'd say Transitional. We don't gain anything with Strict, we would
probably have similar issues with IE6 like we would have with XHTML,
we won't have to rewrite anything (at least not much) of the current
markup if using Transitional, and it makes more sense to directly skip
to HTML5 instead.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/