[dev] FB Connect

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Apr 6 14:37:36 UTC 2009

I considered implementing FBConnect, but after looking into it deeper,
decided that IMO, it was overkill for what Horde would need/want.  In
particular, if done correctly, FBConnect is supposed to be an
*additional* way of authenticating AND signing up for the websites
that it is implemented on. For us, that means that any FB user should
be able to login to Horde and act as any other Horde user, while in
addition any existing Horde user should be able to login as usual, and
connect his/her FB account.  What happens when an existing Horde user
logs in with FB credentials before they attached their account?  There
is an awful lot of supporting code that is needed to ensure users
logging in as a FB user that already exist as a Horde user (without
already attaching their FB account from within Horde) are recognized.
I also had a hard time seeing how implementing a "dual authentication"
mechanism where both backends could be authoritative would work in our
current codebase.

Anyway, if you want to go ahead and work on implementing a FBCOnnect
Auth driver, then the DB table(s) required for that table should be
separate then the storage for the existing FB integration, as they
really are two different beasts.

Quoting duck <duck at obala.net>:

> I would like to to implement FB Connect in my Horde installation to
> allow user
> to login, register and use friend link service. The problem for
> implement this
> is the preferences limitation.  It forces to access data per user basis. So
> you cannot search by FB uid, that are even serialized. So there is no way to
> check if a uid is already linked to a local user or to autologin a user from
> FB session, without checking every single user data (of course is
> impossible).
>
> Do you think is possible to move FB uid out from from prefs into a dedicated
> SQL table?
>
> Duck

Thanks,
mike