[dev] Horde Facebook service?

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu May 21 21:38:55 UTC 2009

Quoting Nathan Barhorst <ngb2 at natemac.com>:

> Hi Michael.
>
> I'm currently developing a Horde based application that I hope to eventually
> turn into a facebook application.  I'm currently in beta testing, and was
> starting to look for what it would take to integrate my site into facebook
> when I came upon the Service_Facebook module that you are apparently working
> on.  Can you give me a little summary of what this service will do?

The idea behind Horde_Service_Facebook was to have a library that was
specifically geared towards integrating Facebook content with Horde
applications, as opposed to Yet Another Facebook client library.

The library is currently a fairly complete client library that
supports most of FB's API.  What it *isn't* though, is a client
library designed to create traditional FB applications that are run
from within FB. It also doesn't currently have support for any of the
Connect functionality.

   From
> what I've been able to gather by browsing the git repository (not too
> thoroughly, mind you) it looks like you are building in support for friends,
> pictures, status, etc.

Right now, as far as Horde / Facebook integration points go, there is
a Horde_Block that will display the user's stream and allow the user
to publish a status update. In Turba (the address book application)
there is a facebook driver that will pull available information from
the user's friends and present them as an address book. Kronolith (the
calendar application) will display the birthday of the user's friends.
  There is basic support in Ansel for publishing an article when a
user uploads photos to one of his Ansel galleries.

> What about login (Facebook Connect or the recently announced OpenID
> support)?  Notifications?  Chat tie in?

Personally, I don't feel the need to implement a Horde/Facebook
Connect authentication driver. There are issues that need to be dealt
with concerning our Auth drivers if this were to be done though.

There is another developer, Duck,  that was looking at doing something
with Connect.  You should subscribe to the dev list at
http://horde.org/mail.

> Any idea when it might be stable enough that I might be able to get my hands
> on it to start trying it out?  Not that I have time in the next month or so
> anyway.  So many bugs to fix....  :)

Well the client library is pretty much working, as are the features I
listed above, so you should be able to start playing with it. If you
need to look at it, the file in Horde that acts as a callback for
authentication purposes etc.. is horde/services/facebook.php.

Feel free to post to the dev@ list with any questions.

Thanks,
mike

--