[dev] Auth drivers and configurable capabilities, ldap groups hierarchy

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Fri May 29 14:09:32 UTC 2009

On May 29, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Lukas Macura <macura at opf.slu.cz>:
>
>> Next, we need to solve problems with LDAPg groups. In latest version,
>> there is bug (or feature? ) ;) that we can see groups only from one
>> context. Not from subcontexts. Problem is in Group/ldap.php where
>> ldap
>> drivers expects hierarchi al group tree but "forget" that to see
>> parent
>> groups, we need to interpret ous as groups. I found, that it probably
>> worked some time ago, but was rollbacked at
>> http://cvs.horde.org/co.php/framework/Group/Group/ldap.php?r=1.28
>> Am I right?
>>
>> I made small patch  for Group/ldap.php which enables to see all LDAP
>> groups as flat groups without hierarchy when config option
>> 'flat_ldap'
>> is true. So now we can see all groups from entire LDAP tree and it is
>> partialy solved. It is trivial patch, I can post it but I would
>> want to
>> discuss if it is right way to implement LDAP groups or if it will be
>> hierarchical again.
>
> They should work hierarchically again IMO. Please test if this is a
> problem with the LDAP groups driver, or with the way we use the
> groups API. As Ben mentioned in that commit message, using colons as
> group separators (like the datatree driver) doesn't make any sense
> for other drivers. LDAP has it's own way of creating hierarchies,
> the group driver should use that, and anything inside Horde should
> solely use the group API to display and manage group hierarchies.

LDAP Groups do not work hierarchically today.  The problem isn't in
the LDAP Groups driver, at least not directly, but rather in the UI.
Because of the Datatree heritage, the UI assumes that groups in a
hierarchy are delimited by colons, and this is assumed as well by the
Group API.  This was the reason for the patch that I originally wrote
and was reverted above (r=1.28).  I can see two possible solutions to
the problem:

1) Allow colons to be the group hierarchy delimiter throughout Horde.
This has the advantage of minimizing changes to the Horde codebase,
but the disadvantage of breaking any group names that contain a colon.

2) Find a new way to represent hierarchical groups within the Horde
UI.  This may require breaking BC by changing the way we pass in
hierarchical group information to the Group API as the old Datatree
driver expects hierarchical groups to be passed in as colon-delimited
string.

/BAK/
--
Ben Klang