[dev] Non-free License in ansel

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jun 16 22:12:45 UTC 2009

Quoting Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> While packaging ansel for Debian, we encountered js/src/lightbox.js
> ([1]) which is CC-by 2.5.
> Unfortunately, this license is considered non-free by Debian [2]
> (version 3.0 is OK).
>
> Question to the lightbox maintainer, Lokesh Dhakar:
> - Would you upgrade the license to 3.0 or choose another DFSG license?
>
> Question to Ansel maintainers:
> - In the case of upstream license upgrade, would you relicense your
> local modifications too?

Re-licensing our local modifications to the CC Attribution License
version 3 is fine by me, though I'd wait for the rest of the core team
to provide input on this.

> - In the other case and for a quick integration in Debian, is there a
> safe way to make ansel work without this file?

Well, yes, but you obviously would lose the lightbox functionality,
and that's a big feature to lose.

lightbox.js is used in two places. The first, is in the gallery view
when displaying a gallery with a lightbox style. This can be dealt
with by removing any of the lightbox-enabled styles in
config/styles.php.dist (any of the styles with 'gallery_view' set to
'Lightbox'). Of course, there's nothing stopping someone from trying
to create a Lightbox style on their own, since that file is meant to
be edited/tweaked etc...

The second place it's possible to be loaded from is if embedding a
"mini" view on an external website using javascript (adding a
'/lightbox=true/' to the embed url).  If you *really* want to, you
could hack the Mini.php file to remove support for this.

> Thanks for all your work and fun ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you enjoy :)

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)