[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 89ba60ebd8227e84abe696131778097c4770d99d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jul 16 09:50:56 UTC 2009

>>> That doesn't make sense to me, what's the purpose of two
>>> configuration files? Either configuration through foo.php is
>>> required, then we should still distribute foo.php.dist. Or we
>>> assume defaults for everything and consider the configuration
>>> foo.php as an override, if it exists.
>>>
>>> Only the latter is actually a solution for the problem I mentioned
>>> in the commit, because in this case, configuration files are no
>>> longer required at all. If we still require some configuration
>>> files, the problem of distinguishing between required and optional
>>> files still isn't solved.
>>
>> I agree with Jan.  We would be going from 1 config file to 2 config
>> files.  I fail to see how that makes things less complicated.
>>
>> And to make it possible for people to quickly understand what
>> config values can be changed, we necessarily need to list all of
>> this config information somewhere.  So it still makes more sense to
>> me to do this in a config file environment rather than anything
>> else (we must certainly should *not* be enforcing default values
>> within the actual code.  that makes no sense).
>
> Well, that's where the idea for two files comes from. One lists what
> we think good defaults are, describes all of the settings, lists
> options, etc. The second, which is entirely optional, allows users
> to override the defaults without changing a file that is part of the
> distribution.
>
> Think of it this way: with this system users automatically get new
> config settings while maintaining their customizations (except if
> the setting they're overriding changes, of course - no way around
> that). And if we pick good defaults, then there are fewer things
> needed to do out-of-the-box to get Horde up and running.

It makes more sense to me then to have .xml configuration descriptions
like we do with conf.php now, and ship default, pre-generated .php
versions for that.
The .xml generated configuration is pretty cool IMO, admins don't have
to edit PHP code files, if they don't want to, and still have the full
flexibility. And we only have a single configuration file.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/