[dev] API Interface Rewrite

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Aug 4 21:24:33 UTC 2009

> I think what you are describing is a Horde_Application_Base class -
> a base for what makes a Horde application a Horde application. I
> don't think this is the same thing as most of the current registry
> API methods; I think those would go in a Horde_Application_Api tree
> instead.

At an abstract level, I agree with you.  But at an implementation
level, I don't.

Take perms().  That is an example of a function that should be the
same across all applications.  However, calling code shouldn't have to
call that method any different from an application specific method
(they should both be callable via call() or callByPackage()).  Which
makes sense because these calls are no different than an application's
API calls.

So that means that these functions now have to parse yet another file
to determine where the function call lies (more overhead).  And we
have to create this 'Applicaion_Base' file, which is going to look
identical to the API file since it needs $services and $types
declarations (more overhead, both processing and in code maintenance).

I think a well-commented API file is much preferable then trying to
break this out into 2 separate libraries.

michael