[dev] History of share changes

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Aug 13 17:20:05 UTC 2009

>>> Any more opinions about this?
>>
>> I've been thinking that we should put created and modified fields
>> back into most of our entity tables. That would address a lot of
>> the problems here for speed and also make History not necessary for
>> many uses. The only thing it doesn't address is prior revisions
>> (which history doesn't really address either) and tracking deleted
>> items (which could either still use history, or use a simplified
>> system).
>
> I don't see any problem with the history system per se. I doubt that
> having the date attributes with the original data will have much if
> any performance improvement over a separate table.
> Having a central place for all history data is much better
> maintenance-wise too, we would not only need a place to track
> deleted data, but we also have history that's not related to
> anything stored in our database, like message history.

That's true, and all good reasons, and I made the darn History API in
the first place so I should be partial to it. However I'd also had
trouble when trying to deal *just* with an app's data, and needing to
pull in history also. What do you think of storing them in both
places? Horribly non-normalized I know.

-chuck