[dev] Full HTML/CSS support on message view

Rui Carneiro rui.carneiro at portugalmail.net
Thu Sep 10 17:29:47 UTC 2009

Hi there.

The idea of this thread is sharing some ideas on how to add full support of
HTML/CSS on IMP so it can have a good result on "email acid test" (
http://www.email-standards.org/)

>From what I saw on other webmails with good results (e.g AOL and Yahoo!)
there is 1 common solution:

First step is to embed the message on an iframe before showing the message.
This will "reset" all previous CSS conditions so we might need to set a few
like font family, size or color.
Second step is to make a parser that can change message's CSS (ids and
classes) from this

#test {
 color: red;
}

to something like this

#horde_unique_id #test {
 color: red;
}

This "#horde_unique_id" should be the id of the element (e.g. div) where the
email message will be shown. This way only the elements inside
"horde_unique_id" will be affected by message's CSS.

>From what I know this seems to be possible on horde but I would like some
expert opinion :)

Best regards,
Rui Carneiro