[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. 5d46697409298e3a520583b63170a517c8e32e53

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Sep 22 20:22:39 UTC 2009

> Can you give an example of column collisions? Until now I've found
> the DIMP message list UI to be pretty ideal. I might add gmail-style
> initial message snippets, but otherwise, it really works for me. The
> grid might grow on my - but right now my reaction is strongly
> against it.

See attached - 1 example of a subject/arrival collision and 1 example
of a flags/from collision.  These aren't manufactured/rare examples
either - they were both in my INBOX.  And this is on a browser with a
viewport width of 1164 pixels.

We have had grid lines in IMP for forever, presumably for this exact reason.

FYI - the couple of desktop MUA's I looked at (thunderbird, evolution)
use row shading and ellipses.  As previously mentioned, ellipses is
not really an option because none of the workarounds for
text-overflow: ellipsis are realistic for this use case (the
workarounds for lacking either require boatloads of javascript,
specific HTML structure, browser-specific hacks, or document-wide
stylesheet settings).  This is the rare case where IE is better than
all of the other browsers.

michael

--
Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]