[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. 5d46697409298e3a520583b63170a517c8e32e53

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Sep 25 18:18:49 UTC 2009

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Can you give an example of column collisions? Until now I've found
>> the DIMP message list UI to be pretty ideal. I might add
>> gmail-style initial message snippets, but otherwise, it really
>> works for me. The grid might grow on my - but right now my reaction
>> is strongly against it.
>
> See attached - 1 example of a subject/arrival collision and 1
> example of a flags/from collision.  These aren't manufactured/rare
> examples either - they were both in my INBOX.  And this is on a
> browser with a viewport width of 1164 pixels.
>
> We have had grid lines in IMP for forever, presumably for this exact reason.
>
> FYI - the couple of desktop MUA's I looked at (thunderbird,
> evolution) use row shading and ellipses.  As previously mentioned,
> ellipses is not really an option because none of the workarounds for
> text-overflow: ellipsis are realistic for this use case (the
> workarounds for lacking either require boatloads of javascript,
> specific HTML structure, browser-specific hacks, or document-wide
> stylesheet settings).  This is the rare case where IE is better than
> all of the other browsers.

I don't actually think that the examples you provided look that bad. I
can see that some white space at the end of each column would be
better, though, at least.

How about I revert the grid lines but ask a designer I work with to
look at it and see what he can come up with? After a few days I'm more
used to them, but they still just look so much less elegant to me than
it did before.

-chuck