[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. 746dc9af33a4558e24c79c6812dcc02e9684872b

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Jan 4 14:32:03 UTC 2010

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> commit 6bb67b4f489bb28586deb42f8d30225430e07721
>>> Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
>>> Date:   Wed Dec 23 15:33:26 2009 +0100
>>>
>>>   Re-add lost upgrade script.
>>>
>>> ingo/scripts/upgrades/convert_imp_filters.php |  272
>>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> 1 files changed, 272 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
>>> create mode 100755 ingo/scripts/upgrades/convert_imp_filters.php
>>>
>>> http://git.horde.org/co.php/ingo/scripts/upgrades/convert_imp_filters.php?rt=horde-hatchery&r=6bb67b4f489bb28586deb42f8d30225430e07721
>>
>> Any particular reason for this?  This was intentionally removed.
>> IMHO, if someone is really converting from Horde 2 apps, the proper
>> and desired route should be to upgrade to Horde 3 first and then
>> Horde 4.  No need to maintain scripts in Horde 4 for
>> long-deprecated data structures.
>
> No, we never required users to upgrade to an intermediate version,
> and we shouldn't start doing it. I don't see a reason why we should
> either, beside we being too lazy to keep upgrade scripts working.

For minor point version upgrades, I agree, but for anything
approaching a major version upgrade, I think I agree with Michael on
this one. I know in the past, some of our UPGRADING instructions
explicitly stated that if you were upgrading from an earlier version
then x.y, then you must first upgrade to x.y before upgrading to z.
IMO, this makes sense, since upgrade scripts are usually
touching/migrating data structures. I think that besides the time and
energy to maintain all upgrade scripts going forward, there is also
the issue of consistency. It could also lead to confusion as to which
version of the upgrade script someone is running.

If we do end up agreeing on keeping the upgrade scripts up-to-date,
then I think we need to both set a limit on how many versions back to
maintain them, like one major release, or to rename the upgrade
scripts to make it clearer that they are for going directly from Horde
2 -> Horde 4 or Horde 2 -> Horde 3 etc...

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)