[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch ActiveSync updated. cc9c0cfd083b224741082301389822bc075e5e3c

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 6 18:03:30 UTC 2010

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> This is a major issue with updating/rebasing a branch: it makes
>> these commit messages worthless.  I have no idea which of these
>> changes are exclusive to the ActiveSync branch and which changes
>> are the result of rebasing from master.  Until/unless someone can
>> alter the commit generation script to fix this, I think we need to
>> avoid rebasing/updating topic branches.
>
> We were recently having some major discussion about this in IRC, and
> then also between Ben and I in email since we were both having
> issues with our topic branches. (Ben, can you forward my reply to
> your email to to dev@? I can't seem to find my Sent Mail copy).
> Personally, I think it's a major issue to not keep topic branches
> current.  I agree the _branch_ history can get muddled, but that is
> resolved once the topic branch is merged, then rebased with remote
> master. Yes, for some topic branches that are short-lived, this
> probably isn't an issue...but for branches that either introduce
> major changes, or are likely to be longer living, I think it's
> important to keep the branches in sync...especially if the idea is
> to have other people/devs want to try out the code, it should be the
> most recent code from master, with only the changes relevant to the
> topic.

I have no problems with keeping the topic branch current (I do the
same thing).  The issue is solely with our reporting script.

> Does anyone know of other major projects using Git, and what they do
> to handle this sort of thing?  I've seen projects with SVN that doe
> things like adding commits that basically just say "Syncing with
> trunk" or similar, but I don't think something like that is possible
> with the way git does things...maybe the answer lies somehere in our
> post-commit scripts?

That's what I think - it's our post-commit scripts that needed
tweaking.  I just don't have a bunch of time currently to look into
this.  IIRC, when I was originally modifying the script, I found
almost zero documentation in the rest of the web about modified
post-commit e-mail scripts.  Maybe things have changed, or my
google-fu is weak, but that was the situation.

I am positive that there is some way with the myriad of git commands
to determine which commits in a topic branch are already contained in
the master branch.  In fact, this is what git cherry does - the
challenge is to write the code that would exclude these shared commits
from the e-mail messages (maybe replacing with a single line of
'synced X # of changes from master', possibly with a revision range
string).

michael