[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 13 17:33:46 UTC 2010

> Let's give this discussion more speed, because now that we don't
> have hatchery anymore, if we decided to run horde side-by-side with
> with the apps, we can drop the install_dev script again, and use a
> horde-git checkout as the webroot, symlinking the framework packages
> like we used to.

I assume with this approach you would be changing the paths in
registry.php to point to applications.

> When I thought about this, I found another problem with this
> approach though. If the apps are not installed inside horde/, we
> don't have a default index.php anymore.

I am confused by this statement.  What do you mean by "default
index.php"?  For each application?  Each application should have an
index.php defined, so that should not be an issue.  For applications
requiring separate auth, like imp, accessing index.php within the imp
directory will redirect to horde's login page.

If you mean the fact that there would not be a default index.php at
the base of the webroot, e.g. http://www.example.com/index.php (since
horde would be installed in http://www.example.com/horde/), I think
this is completely irrelevant.  It is my strongly held belief that
there is no reason why we should make the git repo a "drop-in"
installation of horde.  If someone does wants to run using the git
repo (realistically, this will be a handful of people - and those
people will mostly be horde devs), they either have to accept that the
apps won't live underneath horde or they will have to manually symlink
the directories.  Again, not a big deal.

That being said, it would be trivial to add an index.php file at the
base of horde-git that simply redirects to horde/index.php.

> We can add one to the base folder of horde-git, and also to the
> groupware bundles, but how are we going to provide one when we we
> distribute the modules separately, whether as a pear package or a
> tarball?

Still confused as to what you think is missing in a package/tarball.

> Maybe we could make the horde tarball containing such a index.php
> and the horde/ directory only, at the top level. This may be hard to
> package with pear though, because with pear you can't package files
> that are a directory level *above* package.xml. I'm not sure if the
> same restrictions apply to pyrus.

Again, still confused as to what the problem is here.  My
understanding is that groupware bundles will continue to be
distributed with the apps living underneath horde/.  And the vast
majority of users installing applications individually from tarballs
will do the same thing.

michael