[dev] Consider ignoring upload Content-Type

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 13 17:35:49 UTC 2010

> One of the most often reported problems with IMP is about
> clients/browser sending the wrong content type with file uploads.
> No question that we are doing it the right way. But fact is that
> there are lots of broken user systems out there, and the problem can
> only be fixed on the client system. This is especially problematic
> with a server-side software like Horde.
> Thus I'd like to discuss whether we should start ignoring the
> content type of file uploads completely and instead rely on
> server-side mime magic. The advantage is, that the behavior is the
> same for every client, and that administrator can fix wrong
> detections at a single place, and at a place they actually have
> access too. Of course this makes mime magic a requirement for Horde.
> It might not be the right behavior RFC wise and add another
> prerequisite, but it would improve the user and administrator
> experience a lot IMO.

I would have no issue with this, as long as this is configurable.  And
I believe that using the browser generated MIME type should remain the
default, since it seems to work best most of the time (my personal
experience is that the browser determination is *more* accurate than
MIME magic determination).

michael