[dev] Fwd: Rebase vs. Merge

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 13 19:04:15 UTC 2010

Quoting Ben Klang <ben at alkaloid.net>:

> I can do a "git pull --rebase" but now I've got changesets from
> "master" in my local branch:
> $ git status
> # On branch TestBranch
> # Your branch is ahead of 'origin/TestBranch' by 19 commits.
> #
>
> This is verified by viewing the repository in GitX and seeing
> duplicate commits from origin/master: 1 each in master and TestBranch.

These duplicate messages are expected.  The commit hashes in
TestBranch aren't identical to the hashes in master, since commit
hashes are generated based on the tree status.  Since you have altered
a file in TestBranch vs. master, the trees are different.  However,
git can easily detect that these commits are identical when doing
various reports (see, e.g., git cherry).

Preventing reporting of these various commits is precisely what Mike
R. was working on in the commit message script this week.

michael