[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Feb 1 08:54:16 UTC 2010

>>> Who was saying that? This never worked in any version, and we of
>>> course we can't help people that don't read installation
>>> instructions.
>>
>> I am tremendously sympathetic to this point of view. But the simple
>> fact is that not having at LEAST a friendly "you need to finish
>> your installation, here's how" screen hurts us by turning away
>> people who are in a hurry, trying a bunch of solutions, etc. And
>> that impacts the user community size and thus the developer
>> community size.
>
> I'm not against the idea of useful error messages at all.  What I
> *am* against is duplicating identical code among all applications.
> One of the single biggest nightmares of maintaining H3 and the main
> reason I have been working to consolidate this kind of stuff in
> Horde (i.e. test scripts, Horde_Registry::appInit()).  The downside
> is - in a COMPLETELY broken installation, there may not be the same
> level of feedback as before - e.g., you have to setup Horde properly
> before you can run test scripts on individual apps.

Unfortunately you can't even run the test script of Horde if you
haven't configured Horde yet. Since its purpose is to show missing
prerequisites, this has to be fixed. Also, the test script was always
designed so that admins can't break it through configuration, so that
they always have a single point to check if everything else fails.
This has to be fixed again.

> But this is not a sufficient argument to outweigh the benefits of
> code consolidation.

I agree. We should try to find a good balance, but code consolidation
and easier bootstrapping of applications has a very high weight, and
you have done a great job on that recently!

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/